Flood_3 - Suggestions

ToastyStoat

Donator
Aug 24, 2013
Prop weight and buoyancy info on mouseover in the spawn menu!
I took the liberty of getting the data for that:
https://pastebin.com/VT2QzWfy

Some extra stats like "HP per $", "HP per unit of weight", and "buoyancy per $" would be quite useful too.
In addition, I think a "sort by" system which uses this data would be pretty nifty.

Last edited:

LaffeyTaffy

Tired
Staff member
Owner
Dec 2, 2014
Iowa, United States of America
An overhaul of the explosive weapons such as grenade, fragbolt, and rpg.
In their current state they have a lot of power and are meta defining, some ideas for improvement are:

-reduced explosion radius for AOE and what gets set on fire (maybe a maximum amount of props hit per explosive)
-reduced fire duration (fire damage over time is already fair)
-grenade is useless in its current design, I feel it should have the sticking properties of the fragbolts grenades, which doesn't take away from the fragbolt since it already has a range and accuracy advantage
-reduced fire rate for fragbolt and rpg (long cooldown)

Changes like these could see less of a power swing with explosives that can easily wipe out boats within seconds.

Aug 20, 2018
Texas, United States
I'd say increase in firing range with the fragbolt, but less damage overall with rpg and fragbolt (these are really op and makes new players leave).

Some new plasma guns would be cool as well.

Also I think the way boats float should be changed as some boats can be held up by logs and metal that are spaced out and the doesn't exactly follow the laws of physics.

Finally, for some props I would add a prop limit to them as some props are very overpowered if spawned in excessive amounts.

Sno

Owner/Founder
Staff member
Owner
Feb 3, 2012
West Virginia, United States
remove dupes, extend build time by another minute
I agree with this as it gives the opportunity to be creative, instead of spawning in the same old boat you always use, you get to build something new.
I can confirm that saved dupes have been removed for Flood_3.

However the tool will exist to help speed up the building process, you just won't be able to load or save anything.

ToastyStoat

Donator
Aug 24, 2013
Since the server is usually a ghost town, I have a somewhat radical idea which could encourage new players to stick around: I call it "the underdog bonus".
For the first ~12 hours of play time, players gain slightly boosted prop defense, weapon damage, and earn ~150% the usual money when firing at enemy props.
Perhaps this bonus could slowly fade until the initial ~12 hours are over, or until a certain milestone is reached (~10 weapons purchased / rpg obtained)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018
Texas, United States
Since the server is usually a ghost town, I have a somewhat radical idea which could encourage new players to stick around: I call it "the underdog bonus".
For the first ~12 hours of play time, players gain slightly boosted prop defense, weapon damage, and earn ~150% the usual money when firing at enemy props.
Perhaps this bonus could slowly fade until the initial ~12 hours are over, or until a certain milestone is reached (~10 weapons purchased / rpg obtained)
I actually really like this idea! The main population of the server is usually a bunch of brand new players so I think this would be perfect. Also it would create more balance between old and new players.

Jun 18, 2019
Woah getting rid of dupes that's a interesting course of action. Can't say I am a fan but I guess I will see how that goes.

Honestly I enjoy how the server plays my main suggestions would be update all the visuals. The menu is severely outdated images look wonky and isn't appealing at all. Make things simple and easy as they are already. Along with the menu update the HUD. Get rid of "extras" (where people can make boats come up from the ground). Introduce some sort of level system so that as you progress you can unlock some things. Such as maybe at certain level points you then can build with certain props or gain the ability to buy certain guns. So not only do you need money but you need XP which can be obtained passively and also from doing damage and any other activity. Add new guns and props to work with.

Don't wait for the server to die to update it.

Will edit as I get ideas.

Last edited:

Thermalisation

High Priest of Barrelism
Staff member
Administrator
Donator
Jun 7, 2014
Texas, United States of America
More barrels of course ;) Id just say more new props proper balance of items, u already got new weapons and stuff the ui looked good to me ummmmm please dont increase building time id die ;9 just my opinion on it, more cosmetic items for weapons/player models/and props would be neat and our new map in the rotation

br0wnies

Donator
Jun 2, 2015
br0wnies#9999
www.youtube.com
Progress reset.

If it's going to be a complete overhaul then why not start everyone off fresh.
I suggest you reset cash/weapons/stats and leave points alone (if you're going to remove or replace playermodels I'd like to be compensated if possible).
This wouldn't exactly strip veterans of their status ( playermodels ) and at least give them a goal for some time.

I have mixed feelings about this, while it is a good idea it can and probably be and will be exploited to some degree.
I suggest an alternative which in my opinion could work better: Once a player enters a losing streak and loses ~Xk$ or more in a total of X rounds, they are compensated by a reward suggested above ( "the underdog bonus" ) for a round or two OR till they get ~Xk$ - ( Xk$ * 0.2 ) back. We don't want it to be equal or over because that would result in an even bigger exploit.

An overhaul of the explosive weapons such as grenade, fragbolt, and rpg.
In their current state they have a lot of power and are meta defining, some ideas for improvement are:

-reduced explosion radius for AOE and what gets set on fire (maybe a maximum amount of props hit per explosive)
-reduced fire duration (fire damage over time is already fair)
-grenade is useless in its current design, I feel it should have the sticking properties of the fragbolts grenades, which doesn't take away from the fragbolt since it already has a range and accuracy advantage
-reduced fire rate for fragbolt and rpg (long cooldown)

Changes like these could see less of a power swing with explosives that can easily wipe out boats within seconds.
Strongly agree with this one.

Last edited:

Sno

Owner/Founder
Staff member
Owner
Feb 3, 2012
Progress reset.

If it's going to be a complete overhaul then why not start everyone off fresh.
I suggest you reset cash/weapons/stats and leave points alone (if you're going to remove or replace playermodels I'd like to be compensated if possible).
This wouldn't exactly strip veterans of their status ( playermodels ) and at least give them a goal for some time.
This is the plan since day one, everything besides pointshop will be reset.

And yes its a complete overhaul with most core systems already rewritten.

Remaining core features before alpha and beta testing

• New weapons system including loadouts
  • More advanced control of weapon specifications such as recoil, damage radius, etc.
  • New props and weapons
  • End of round stats
  • New tools?
  • Leveling/XP
  • Room system
  • Team system.
  • Bug fixes

Counter

Mar 20, 2016
There are some things that I personally think provides flaws for the gamemode and should be considered for discussions. I apologize if some of the stuff are already mentioned but I think it stresses the importance of the issues:

• Sky boats; should it still be a core feature for the gamemode?
    • I think sky boats should be removed or limited as it can be overwhelming for other players and doesn't really encourage creative builds
    • I don't think they exactly represent the full nature of the gamemode
    • Sky boats generally take up almost all of the space on the public area of the map.
      • It's difficult to build your own boats on a populated server
    • However, I think there should be a way to allow for both normal and sky boat builds. The asterisks ( * ) are proposed changes for balancing sky boats.

• Backup boats; pressing Z to undo those stoves to make the boats float *
    • I think this is one of the most broken features that the gamemode has on sky boats.
    • I don't think players should be able to undo constraints on the fight phase as it represents your final build on what you have to show. Manipulating constraints other than the build phase doesn't necessarily provide equal fairness amongst all parties.

• Weapons
    • With how the current weapons are, it's difficult to allow players to construct creative builds and forces them to build sky boats.
    • The current explosives are too overpowered (@LaffeyTaffy)
    • Maybe add a sniper weapon to the default loadout so players are able to destroy props from afar

• Props
    • I think it would be nice to consider a prop limit as log and vending machine boat builds are very overpowered when building sky boats *
    • Some props don't have applicable uses (such as the grey metal triangular prop)
    • Expand upon the global prop limit, increasing the prop limit by 4 per team member to encourage teaming and to maybe substitute a VIP feature
    • Metal props have little to no viability at all, apart from the blast door which are used only for sky boats.

• Trucing; should players still be allowed to truce?
    • Trucing is a major grey area that the gamemode has, but I think to ensure fairness within all players that are teaming (when not on an official team) should be prohibited or at least limited. It can detract or discourage new players from staying if 4 of the best players of the server always team up with each other and destroys other boats.

• Tools
    • Duplicator; expanding on @br0wnies's claim *
      • I think this is a major flaw that detracts the core aspect of the Flood gamemode.
      • Doesn't really encourage players to be creative
      • Saleing of dupes shouldn't really be allowed and is what I find personally distasteful.
      • You just paste a boat and wait. I think there should be an even mixture of the social and boat building aspect so that the build timer flows well
    • Keep upright; should the gamemode still allow players to be able to force a certain angle of props? *
      • Maybe if this were to be removed or limited, it would allow normal boats to be utilized. Players would still be able to construct sky boats, but they wouldn't be able to still hold afloat with just 1 log or vending machine with a single plate that's still holding them above.
      • Alternatively, maybe keep upright shouldn't be as strong as it currently is if there is a value that can adjust that.

• Donation perks
    • The guaranteed prop limit increase should be accessable to all players. I think it's one of the more pay to win features apart from like a VIP weapon.
    • Maybe encourage perks to be more cosmetic-based while still retaining some P2W perk elements like VIP weapons or more cash ; i.e. unusual hat effects, exclusive models and hats, weapon skins, etc.

• Encouraging player activity on Flood/in general
    • Round Events
    • Restructure the staff team and (please) consider more applicants that genuinely cares about the prosperity of the community

edit: grammar, added details for keep upright, added asterisks for proposed skyboat balance changes, added a bullet for props and added final header bullet

While I do like the idea of a reset, I don't think players would necessarily agree with it. They come in, "oh all of my cash and weapons that I worked so hard to build up for the last 1-2 years is gone", get upset and leave. It's probably an overstatement but I think it would be nice to reimburse players of their progress in some way that'll possibly justify a wipe. Maybe since you're considering a level system, give players an option to reset all their cash and weapons by prestiging or convert their stuff into points since I think that has more value than weapons and cash itself.

Last edited:

Sno

Owner/Founder
Staff member
Owner
Feb 3, 2012
There are some things that I personally think provides flaws for the gamemode and should be considered for discussions. I apologize if some of the stuff are already mentioned but I think it stresses the importance of the issues:
Appreciate the feedback!
I've been thinking about those things for awhile myself and already decided on some of those things.

Sky boats; should it still be a core feature for the gamemode?
  • I think sky boats should be removed or limited as it can be overwhelming for other players and doesn't really encourage creative builds
  • I don't think they exactly represent the full nature of the gamemode
  • Sky boats generally take up almost all of the space on the public area of the map.
    • It's difficult to build your own boats on a populated server
  • However, I think there should be a way to allow for both normal and sky boat builds. The asterisks ( * ) are proposed changes for balancing sky boats.
I agree, sky boats have been bothering me for a long time now.

• Backup boats; pressing Z to undo those stoves to make the boats float *
    • I think this is one of the most broken features that the gamemode has on sky boats.
    • I don't think players should be able to undo constraints on the fight phase as it represents your final build on what you have to show. Manipulating constraints other than the build phase doesn't necessarily provide equal fairness amongst all parties.
Also agree, i have received plenty of complaints about this and probably will not support it in the future.

Weapons
  • With how the current weapons are, it's difficult to allow players to construct creative builds and forces them to build sky boats.
  • The current explosives are too overpowered (@LaffeyTaffy)
  • Maybe add a sniper weapon to the default loadout so players are able to destroy props from afar
Major update to the weapons is my main focus right now.
Will test weapons throughly during beta and alpha and make sure its fun and balanced.

Part of my plans is a loadout system (people carrying 60 weapons into battle is no fun and not very optimized) and unlocking weapons through leveling up instead of just cash alone.

Will definitely add a long range option as part of the default loadout.

Props
  • I think it would be nice to consider a prop limit as log and vending machine boat builds are very overpowered when building sky boats *
  • Some props don't have applicable uses (such as the grey metal triangular prop)
  • Expand upon the global prop limit, increasing the prop limit by 4 per team member to encourage teaming and to maybe substitute a VIP feature
  • Metal props have little to no viability at all, apart from the blast door which are used only for sky boats.
Definitely plan on re-balancing props thoroughly and adding new props.
The VIP prop bonus isn't part of the new gamemode.

Trucing; should players still be allowed to truce?
  • Trucing is a major grey area that the gamemode has, but I think to ensure fairness within all players that are teaming (when not on an official team) should be prohibited or at least limited. It can detract or discourage new players from staying if 4 of the best players of the server always team up with each other and destroys other boats.
Trucing is a hard one to enforce, But i believe we already prohibit that.

Tools
  • Duplicator; expanding on @br0wnies's claim *
    • I think this is a major flaw that detracts the core aspect of the Flood gamemode.
    • Doesn't really encourage players to be creative
    • Saleing of dupes shouldn't really be allowed and is what I find personally distasteful.
    • You just paste a boat and wait. I think there should be an even mixture of the social and boat building aspect so that the build timer flows well
  • Keep upright; should the gamemode still allow players to be able to force a certain angle of props? *
    • Maybe if this were to be removed or limited, it would allow normal boats to be utilized. Players would still be able to construct sky boats, but they wouldn't be able to still hold afloat with just 1 log or vending machine with a single plate that's still holding them above.
    • Alternatively, maybe keep upright shouldn't be as strong as it currently is if there is a value that can adjust that.
Definitely agree on the duplicator, It's already being removed and will just exist to speed up building.
It's save and load features are being removed, Basically will be the vanilla sandbox dupe tool.

And been thinking heavily about keep upright personally and i think there needs to be a middle ground on that, Probably a custom solution as keepupright is really limited in options.

Donation perks
  • The guaranteed prop limit increase should be accessable to all players. I think it's one of the more pay to win features apart from like a VIP weapon.
  • Maybe encourage perks to be more cosmetic-based while still retaining some P2W perk elements like VIP weapons or more cash ; i.e. unusual hat effects, exclusive models and hats, weapon skins, etc.
The VIP prop limit has been removed and is the same as everyones (25 currently, maybe increase to 30)
New VIP perks TBD.

Encouraging player activity on Flood/in general
  • Round Events
  • Restructure the staff team and (please) consider more applicants that genuinely cares about the prosperity of the community
Round events is something we'll probably add.

Finding staff that want to be active can be difficult, but we are accepting.